Australian 186 Employer Nomination Scheme

Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)

About this visa

The Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186) is for skilled workers who want to work in Australia. It is part of the Permanent Employer Sponsored Visa program.

This visa is a permanent residence visa. You can be inside or outside Australia when you apply. If you are in Australia, you must hold a substantive visa or a bridging visa A, B or C.

The visa has three streams:
The Temporary Residence Transition stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for two years in the same occupation with their nominating employer (who has lodged a valid nomination with us under the Temporary Residence Transition stream), who wants to offer them a permanent position in that occupation.

The Direct Entry stream is for:
- people who have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream
- people who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia
- temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream, or
- people with a nomination lodged with us before 1 July 2012.

The Agreement stream is for people sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement.

Before you apply

You can apply for this visa only after you have been nominated by an employer in Australia.

Expression of interest
If you do not have an employer who will nominate you, you can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect. Prospective employers and state and territory governments can then view your details and decide whether to nominate you for skilled migration.

Your Expression of Interest must specify which stream you want to be considered for. No supporting documents are required at this time. You can lodge your Expression of Interest while you are in or outside Australia.

Information about business and employment in various states and territories is available:
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- Queensland
- South Australia
- Tasmania
- Victoria
- Western Australia.No further stay

Contact immigration office if you are not sure whether your current visa conditions prevent you from applying for a further visa while you are in Australia. Applicants holding substantive visas with no further stay condition may be able to lodge applications for this visa in certain circumstances.

Your passport

You need a valid passport or other travel document for this visa. If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa.

For further details, please visit

Images used on this page courtesy

No comments:

Post a Comment